Summary by: Leo
Out of my Mind by Sharon Draper

Out of my mind by Sharon Draper is a heart stopping, emotional fiction novel. With challenges for the main character Melody to face, she pushes on trying to make the school quiz team. While Melody has a disability of cerebral palsy, she still pushes on and figures out new ways to communicate. Melody gets to go ‘normal’ classes as she learns more instead of staying in room H5 with a few other disabled kids.

Sharon Draper was very smart while she hid clues throughout the book that all came together at the end. She also wrote as if Melody recounting and writing the story of her own life. There were heaps of similes and metaphors that were very well placed in the book. Sharon Draper also made you think to know what she was talking about also known as show don’t tell.

Melody makes a lot of friends and huge connections with characters. Her friend rose makes a big decision that changes the storyline. While rose is her friend, there are two bullies that Melody has to ignore negative words that are being said to her. The bullies also pretend to be Melody’s friend but everyone knows, they’re not.

I really enjoyed the adventure Sharon Draper put on and the clues she hid. I would recommend the book to ages 10 and over because the book needs to be understood by the person to make it an amazing read. To describe the book I would say it was emotional because of the roller coaster Melody goes through.